Blackjack at the online casino
When many people think of casinos, they immediately think of Blackjack. You may have played the card game or at least heard about it. Blackjack is one of the most popular games in the casino. The game is very popular both in the real casino and on the internet platforms. This is certainly also due to the simplicity of the game. Even as a beginner, you quickly understand how it works and you can play along with the others.
Online you also have the chance that you don’t have to sit at a table with others. You can comfortably test your fortune at a slot. Until you think you know how it works. Most casinos also offer demo versions. This way you can practise without any risk before switching to real money mode.
In the live casino there is also often a large selection of Blackjack tables. Here you can feel the real casino feeling and play with a real croupier and other players. The fun and excitement in every round are unique. In addition, there is the casino’s low house edge of 1%, which decreases further with the right strategy. Blackjack is also a bit about skill and not just fortune and pure chance.
Online Blackjack Game Guide
The origin of the game goes back to the 17th century and the actual name was “21”. This describes the game even better and you will immediately understand why. It is advisable to know the rules of almost all card games. You can also read a little more about strategies on how best to play. However, this should not take away from the excitement. If you think of it as a game of chance, it can be just as much fun and entertaining. By the way, you will soon realise that you can only rarely use a bonus in Blackjack. Due to the low house edge, the game is usually out of the question.
Basic principle of Blackjack
The basic principle is explained very simply. We will go into more detail about the value of the cards and the terms used in the game later. The game itself is easy to explain, but there are some rules you need to follow. Especially if you want to play with a strategy, it is important to know the possibilities.
The aim of the game is always to outbid the dealer and the other players. The value of the cards must not exceed 21. You get cards and can decide for yourself whether you want another one. The total value of your cards increases with each additional card. The closer you are to the value of 21, the better your chances of winning the game round.
Value of Blackjack cards
In Blackjack, it is really important that you know the value of your cards. Your decisions are based on what value you already have in your hand. This is also one reason why it is a game of skill. You have to calculate the value and decide strategically whether you want to take the risk of another card or not. You must not exceed the value of 21 or you will lose. If you know the value of your hand, you can work out for yourself how high the probability is of getting over the target value with an additional card.
Compared to poker, it is enough if you know the value of the cards. You do not have to know and use hand combinations. The following are the values of the individual cards:
- All playing cards with a numerical value of 2-10 have exactly the value printed on them.
- Cards with a picture, i.e. Jack, Queen and King are counted with the value 10.
- The ace is the only card with two values, which you can choose according to your needs. If you have an ace in your hand, you can count it as 1 or 11.
The best thing that can happen to you when you deal the cards is an ace and a card with the value 10. So if you have the 10, jack, queen or a king and an ace, you are already at 21. You can no longer be outdone with that. Unless the dealer representing the casino also has a so-called blackjack in his hand. A blackjack pays out 2.5 times your bet.
You don’t only play Blackjack at the slot machine, but also sometimes in the Live Casino. To master both, there are some terms you need to know. This will make it easier for you to play and prevent beginner’s mistakes. Especially at the beginning, a misunderstanding can be expensive and that would be annoying.
The so-called chips are your stake in the game. They are the equivalent of cash and each colour has its own value. In online casinos you can usually set your bet separately. But in many games, betting with chips is simulated virtually.
- Betting box
This is where you keep your chips. All chips outside this box are considered bets and counted.
This is the amount you bet if you want to win against the house. If you win, your bet is multiplied. If you lose, your bet is also lost.
The cards you play with in a round are called a hand.
When you look at your hand and decide you want an extra card. With the term hit, you signal to the croupier that he will give you one more card.
If you do not want another card, you signal this to the dealer with the term stand. He will then switch to the next player at the table or play his cards himself and take additional ones or leave his hand.
Suppose you have two identical cards in your hand and want to split them. Then you can use the term split to start a second hand. In this case you play with two hands and your bet is split. However, you must then also increase it so that each hand has the same bet as originally. You get an extra card on each hand and have a chance to win with both hands.
- Double Down
If you want just one more card and you feel like you can win with that hand, you go double down. You get one more card, double your original bet at the same time and finish your turn.
Blackjack also has side bets. If the croupier’s first up card is an ace, you can place an insurance bet. This is a side bet that wins if the dealer has Blackjack. Then you lose with your hand but you win with the insurance bet. However, if the dealer does not reveal a Blackjack, you lose.
Important rules for online blackjack
The following rules apply not only in the real casino, but also in the online casino. It is important to know them right from the start so that you don’t make any mistakes.
- Up to seven players can sit at the semicircular table. The croupier stands in the middle of the arc opposite the players and directs the game.
- Depending on the table, the number of packs of cards used can vary. The fewer that are used, the better it is for you as a player. If there are several decks, you cannot estimate which card you could still get.
- Always make sure that your chips are in the betting box. Any chips outside the box are considered a bet and cannot be withdrawn.
- The dealer deals 2 cards to each player from left to right. The cards are dealt face up.
- When everyone has received their cards, the dealer gives himself his cards. One card is placed face up. The other card is the so-called hole card. The croupier places it face down in front of him.
- If the dealer’s face-up card is an ace, he offers insurance to the players. This is the side bet where you can hedge against a dealer’s Blackjack. If the hole card has a value of 10, that makes it a blackjack. In this case, you would win with the side bet and lose with your hand. If the hole card is not worth 10, you lose your insurance. You can still win with your hand.
- Once everyone has received their cards and the dealer has placed their cards in front of them, they begin the game. Each player is asked for their instructions. Each player must then choose to hit, stand, split or double down with the appropriate bets. If you feel that your hand will not bring you a win, you can fold.
- If no player at the table directs any further action, it is the dealer’s turn. He will turn over his hole card to show his hand and play with it.
- For any value below 17, the dealer must take another card. Once the cards have reached a value between 17 and 21, he is not allowed to pick up an additional card. This gives the players an advantage.
- If the dealer exceeds 21 when taking a card, then you have won the bet. But if your card value exceeds 21, you have lost.
Although this may seem like a lot of rules at once, the game is not that difficult. It is worth playing a few rounds and learning for yourself how it works.
Differences at the Blackjack tables
In Blackjack, as in almost all table games, there are different variations of the game. The tables may have isolated rules that do not apply everywhere. Therefore, you should always check beforehand which table you will be sitting at and playing at. You don’t want to be surprised in the middle of the game and not have expected it. This also applies to the minimum stakes. Especially in the beginning, you have to be careful to start at a table that also accepts smaller amounts.
Flexible table rules that do not always apply include, for example:
- A certain number of splits per game round.
- Number of packs of cards in play.
- The value at which the dealer is not allowed to continue playing.
- Double downs per hand.