Popularity of Punto Banco
Punto Banco is one of the most popular games at the online casino. It is a form of the table game Baccarat. However, when we talk about Baccarat in the online casino, we always mean Punto Banco. There are two well-known and popular variants of Baccarat:
- Punto Banco
- Chemin de fer
There is a simple explanation for the fact that you will only find the first variant in the online casino. Because the name already reveals who is playing here. Derived from the Italian, it is a player (Punto) and the bank (Banco). While in Chemin de fer the players play against each other. In the machines where you can start the game, you always play against the bank or the casino.
In general, Baccarat, but especially Punto Banco, is one of the easiest table games in online casinos. That is why it is more popular than ever and also very suitable for all table game beginners. There are some basic rules to follow, but once understood the game results by itself. The house edge is another argument in its favour. It is very low, which means that your chances of winning are automatically higher than in other casino games.
Origin of Punto Banco
Baccarat itself can be traced back to the 16th century. Originating in Naples, it then slowly spread to Europe and especially to France. At that time, it was played a lot at the royal court. The two different variants then developed. The Baccarat we know today is not very old and dates back to the 19th century. The derivation of Punto Banco is more oriented towards the slot machines. This is because only 1:1 play is possible at the slot machines and at Chemin de fer you have to compete against other players. When Punto Banco was first played in Las Vegas in 1959, it quickly became a hit. It was instantly popular with casino customers. This is mainly because you can learn it quickly and play it straight away.
How to play Punto Banco
Would you like to try Punto Banco? We’ll give you all the important information here so you know what to expect. In the online casino you will find a large selection of slot machines with Punto Banco. You can simply search for them or narrow down the game selection so that they are displayed to you. Almost every software manufacturer has different games to choose from. The main difference is in the design. The basic principle of the game remains the same. So you choose a machine that you like.
To know what is happening in front of your eyes, it is important to know the card values. Because the whole game is based on this, you can add up the value of the cards and get as close as possible to 9. The value of your cards is calculated as follows:
- The 10 and the face cards (Jack, Queen and King) have a value of 0.
- The cards 2 – 9 keep their indicated value.
- In this game the ace is counted as 1.
When the game starts, you are dealt two cards. When you turn them over, they are added together to decide whether you need a third card or not. In the event that the value together reaches two digits, then only the last number counts. For example, if you have an 8 and a 9 in front of you, that makes 17. In the game, they would make 7, because only the last digit is decisive.
It is all about who wins the round, you as the player (Punto) or the banker (Banco) with his cards. Here is what you need to know:
- You can bet on the player or the banker in the main bets. Or you can bet on a draw, which is a rare occurrence.
- You always bet on a win or a draw. You can determine the stake yourself. Pay attention to the minimum and maximum bets.
- In Punto Banco there are only two hands – one of the player and one of the banker. There is no competition against other players.
- It is about who comes closest to the value 9 with their cards. If a hand already has 8 or 9 with the first two cards, this is called a “natural”. The game ends immediately and the hand with the said value wins.
- Both can have a maximum of three cards, i.e. each hand gets at most one additional card.
- If the player has a total of 5 or less in his hand, he gets one more card. Anything above that simply stands.
- The same applies to the banker, if he has under 5, he will take another card.
- After the round the hands are compared, whoever is closer to 9 is the winner.
- If you bet on the winning hand, you get paid a profit. If you bet on the other hand, you lose your bet.
- As a player, you can also bet against yourself and on the banker to win.
- If you bet on a win for either the player or the banker and the outcome is a draw, you get your stake back.
- You bet on a draw and it happens, then odds of 8:1 are paid out.
Main bets in Punto Banco
Since there are only two opponents in Punto Banco, the main bets are quickly made. The interesting thing is that as a player you can also bet against yourself. If you look at the house edge, you can more easily decide what to bet on. Ideally, you try to avoid an egalité (draw). This rarely happens, as the value of the cards in both hands must be identical. The house edge in Punto Banco is as follows:
- For Punto, the house edge is 1.24%.
- The house edge on Banco is 1.06%.
- The Egalité bet has a house edge of 14%.
For this reason, you should prefer to place one of the first two bets. Your chances of winning are much better.
Side bets at the online Punto Banco
If the main bets are not exciting enough for you, you can place one of the following side bets. They are only available in conjunction with a main bet. The risk of losing your bet is much higher, but the winnings are also much higher. Not every game offers all side bets. If you want to play a certain bet, you have to find out beforehand if one of the games has it.
If one of the two hands has a pair (e.g. 2x 7s), you win this bet.
Here you bet that only 4 cards will be used in the game round. This would mean that no one gets a third card in their hand.
This is the opposite bet to Small. Here you bet that 5 or 6 cards will be in play.
- Dragon Bonus
You bet on which hand has the higher value. The difference between the two hands is relevant for your payout.
- Sum Bonus
You win if the sum of the player’s and the banker’s cards together is less than 5 or more than 14.
- Tie Bonus
In case of a tie or a difference of 1 point, the bonus is paid.
- Egalité Bonus
Here you win in case of a tie. If you predict a draw in the main bet and also predict the correct number of cards in the match, you win. This is the best win you can get. The odds here are 220:1.
Tips and Tricks for Punto Banco at the Online Casino
Punto Banco is a game of chance. There are no tricks to manipulate the machine in this case. There are strategies that you can implement in your betting behaviour. But in general, you have to rely on your luck and skill. However, some tips will help you to play successfully and have fun.
- Always play at a reputable casino, preferably one that has been listed on our site. Then you get a safe gaming environment and every game is fair.
- Know the rules and the card values so you understand what exactly happens in the game.
- If possible, try the game first in a free demo version. Only use your real money when you feel you know the game.
- Concentrate on the main bets first. The side bets should only be made when you are confident in the game.
- The side bets are purely a matter of luck, as you cannot know any of the outcomes, but have to guess.
- If you get a table game bonus, make sure you can use it for the game. In that case, you could play with free credit and no risk. Be aware that most normal bonuses exclude table games.