Poker in online casinos
Poker is one of the best known and at the same time most popular card games in the world. To this day, it is not possible to trace back exactly when it originated. There are many who say the predecessors of the game date back to the 16th century. At that time, many card games were developed in France and Germany. Some are very similar to today’s poker. Over the years, it has always evolved.
Researchers assume that French hermits brought it to New Orleans. There it can be traced back at least to 1829. Nowadays, poker is a game of chance where you also have to use a lot of strategy. The so-called poker face at the table, for example, is of great importance. This is how you avoid your opponent seeing whether you have a good or bad hand. Bluffing in particular plays a big role. It has developed to such an extent that there are even big tournaments. The most popular variant is probably Texas Hold’em Poker or Casino Hold’em.
Poker made its way from land-based casinos to the internet very early on. What many people don’t know is that playing poker on a slot machine is not a modern invention. Before the classic 3-reel slots, there were already poker machines. They served as the basis for the invention of the “Liberty Bell”, the first mechanical slot. So it was only natural that the first online casinos also included poker in their game selection.
Poker then experienced a real boom on the internet and was able to inspire millions of people. With video poker you can play at any time and don’t have to wait until enough people are seated at a table. Although many offer live poker, video poker is ideal if you want to play at the moment. Plus, you can try out different strategies and other players won’t distract you. If the poker face is not yet your forte, then video poker is the place for you.
Variations in online Video Poker
As already mentioned, many different variations of poker have developed over time. Therefore, you will also find different video poker games if you search for them on the Internet. The online casinos usually have a huge selection of games and among them are also the different video poker variants. If you are already registered with a provider, you can customise your game selection in the lobby. Go to the search and enter your category, then all video poker games will be displayed and you can choose your favourite. You will definitely find the following poker variants in the online casino:
- Jacks or Better
This game is probably the most popular in Video Poker. With your cards you have to form a hand that is better than a pair of Jacks. Therefore, it is also important to know the different poker hands.
- Jokers Wild
This game is played with a deck of 53 cards. A normal poker deck is used and a joker is added. The joker can replace any other card and always completes your card combination. If you get the joker, you have a better chance of getting a winning hand.
- Deuces Wild
In Deuces Wild you also have a joker. It is played with a normal 52-card deck, but the “2” serves as the wild card in this case and replaces any other card needed. So you can complete any card combination by using the 2 as a joker.
There are other games and the different software developers differ in design. For this reason, you may have to try a few games until you find your favourite video poker.
Video Poker hands
Compared to playing at a poker table, video poker is easier and you can play it without much experience. What you should know, however, are the different hands that are available. This is because they are the starting point for winning. If you know what hand you have or can make, it will be easier for you to understand the game. Therefore, it is important to learn about them before you start. We have listed the different hands, starting with the lowest and going up.
Two cards with the same value are a pair, for example 2x queens.
- 2 Pairs
When you have two cards of the same value twice, such as 2x Jacks and 2x 9s.
- Three of a kind
The extension of a pair would be three of a kind, for example, if you have 3x 9s in your hand.
This is a consecutive sequence of cards, not depending on the suit. An example would be 6 of hearts, 7 of diamonds, 8 of hearts, 9 of spades and 10 of clubs.
Five cards of the same suit but in non-consecutive order are a flush, for example Ace of Hearts, 5, 7, 10 and Jack. If both have a flush, then whoever has the highest card wins. If it is also the same for both players, then the second highest.
- Full House
If you have a pair, i.e. two cards of the same value, and at the same time a three of a kind, i.e. three cards of the same value, this is called a full house. An example of this would be Jack of Hearts, Jack of Diamonds, 9 of Hearts, 9 of Diamonds, 9 of Spades.
- Four of a kind
In this case you have four cards of the same value in your hand. This would be, for example, the 10 of hearts, diamonds, spades and clubs.
- Five of a kind
This hand is very rare, because you need four cards of the same suit and also a joker or wild card. Based on the example above, this would be the 10 of hearts, diamonds, spades and clubs plus the wild card. This is only possible in games with a joker.
- Straight Flush
Here the hands Straight and Flush are combined. So you must have cards in consecutive order and the same suit. An example of this would be 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 of hearts.
- Royal Flush
The royal flush is the highest hand you can have. It is the same as the straight flush but with the highest cards. That would be, for example, 10 of hearts, jack, queen, king and ace. In video poker, you will definitely hit the jackpot with it, if there is one.
How to play video poker at the online casino
Once you know the poker hands, you’ll want to start a game. We’ll explain the first steps you need to take. In a real casino you might have just watched or not even dared to sit down at a table. On the Internet, the inhibition threshold is much lower. Video Poker is not difficult at all. You can start playing without any experience.
- Find a reputable casino where you want to play. Here at gamblepilot.com you will find the best online casinos. Here you can be sure that they are reputable and offer fair games.
- Choose from the list of video poker games that you want to start.
- For the first games you should only make small bets. Only when you have mastered the game you can increase your bets. If you want to win the jackpot, you almost always have to play the maximum bet.
- Once you have set your bet, you will be dealt five cards. See what hand you can make with them. You have one chance to discard cards, then they are exchanged and you get new ones. Discarding works differently in each game. Sometimes you just have to press a button with “hold” on the cards you want to keep, then the others will be exchanged.
- When you have the new cards, you have to make a hand with them. Ideally, the new cards will have given you better combinations.
- Your hand is evaluated and paid out according to the combination. In Video Poker you are not playing against other players, only against the bank. Therefore, you do not have to bluff or try to lure the other player out of his reserve.
- For a payout you need at least a “pair”, i.e. two cards of the same value in your hand. Then you will at least get your bet back.
Tips and tricks for a successful video poker game
Before you start, the poker hands and the general flow of a game are the most important things. When you play in an online casino, you want to win. The poker machines cannot be manipulated any more than other slots. However, you can act strategically and show a little skill. The best way to do this is by choosing the cards or the cards you want to exchange. Think carefully about which combinations might be possible afterwards. We have put together a few more tips for you to help you play successfully.
- Before you use your real money, check whether video poker is also available in a demo version. You can play with play money and get to know the game better. Only when you feel confident should you bet your money. Always remember that you can not only win, but also lose your bet.
- If you already have a combination in your hand, you should hold it. Decide to swap the other cards that do not make a combination at that moment. This will give you a chance to improve your hand. However, if you do not get cards that match, you still have your original hand to play with.
- Do not swap a card that can improve your combination. For example, on a straight, unless you have a chance of a royal flush with a card exchange.
- Jacks are usually very good in a hand, think carefully about whether you want to swap them.
- If you have a pair, you should keep it. When drawing new cards you can get three or four of a kind and win.
- Luck and a little skill or thoughtful action are the best combination in video poker.
You’ve never played poker before, but you’ve heard about it so many times? Then we hope that our guide will give you the most important information and that you are now ready for your first game. We keep our fingers crossed and wish you good luck.